2019年7月27日星期六

7.21 end of the program

This is the last week of this program. There are not many events scheduled for this week, and most of time is left free for preparation of final presentation or final exploration of Tokyo. The exploration we had as a group is to TeamLab. I really appreciate the combination of technology and viewers, of traditional Japanese elements, such as Kanji, bamboo, with CG animation and electricity. As a visitor, I can really interact with the exhibitions and immerse myself into the museum. At the end of the exhibition, we went to a place where we can play and learn at the same time. Again, there is no clear boundary between study and entertainment, adult and children at that place. Combination and boundaryless is indeed the theme of this museum, and I also think that is the idea of this program and modern Japan. Modern Japan is also a place, in the combination of tradition and modern, East and West, and in the struggling about how to reach the true balance between each of them. My research topic is the same. I want to explore how modern language managed to combine foreign loan words and Japanese traditional language usage, and how the boundary between these two languages is blurred and redefined.

In the following days of the program, we mainly focus on the final presentation. I didn’t realize I did so much progress throughout the journey. But in fact, many of my initial thoughts on loan words are challenged by my experience here, and I realize I much bias I held when I started this topic. I realized that to adapt foreign culture isn’t only a way to connect with the West, but also a way to enrich domestic culture. This program also offered a new perspective on how to understand national identity and tradition. When I first try to define these two terms, I thought it as something already constructed by history, while my research should be based on the constructed identity and tradition. While after the program, I realized that both identity and tradition are in the process of being constructed. Though it is important to find the standard at current time, in order to make the research easier, while it is also important to acknowledge that they are being shaped by modern society as well. With these understandings in my head, I may avoid some biases in future research.

The final presentation is really long, but inspiring and interesting to learn how each of our members learn and progress in the past month. It seemed all of us changed some initial thoughts after actually living in Japan. Though not in detail, I learned something from each of them, and reflect on my own topic as well. After the presentation, we went to a cafe and had farewell dinner there. We celebrated two of the friends’ birthday, and gave the gift cards signed by whole group. I also received postcards from the Kristi, Julie and Miki as well. I didn’t know that they did remember what I had said during the trip. Some words I may just said by chance, but they thought that was important and noted that in the cards. I will always keep the card, as a kind of memory and encouragement in the future.

As I am writing this reflection, I am already back in China. This program, as I mentioned in the blog, is far more than just a study abroad to me. I found the thing I really love and want to do in the future, and found the answer to some questions I always have, whether individually reflection on my whole psychological status in my college, and the international and historical relationship between China and Japan. I encountered some accidents during the trip as well. It was at first confusing, but later, became inspiring as well. This is really the best chance for me to grow up in the past 20 years, and most importantly, I met all the team members and three caring instructors.





没有评论:

发表评论